Monday, December 15, 2008

#4 There and Back, Again

Lately, I have been on the move. 
Every morning waking to a stiff neck and crumpling back. 
Every morning waking to an old man in a grey
and tattered hat.
                              My mind is an intricacy of winding
roads and I'm coming to realize that even the trees
can be articulate. I hope they can explain my departure.
I hope they can explain it to me.
I grope about in dark tunnels,
alone,

some great power, my burden
brings nothing but my own doom. I want
my bed. My feather bed and a world observed
through closed and half-open eyes.

My eyes have been wrenched to see a world darker
than I imagined, yet some say
I cannot chose my time. 

One day, kings will kneel to me, yet I will never feel at home.
The earth will open up before me like a morning glory
and I will walk aimless among crabgrass
and barren places. I will sit in the comfort of my home and ache,

knowing that at the very end of my journey, I did not bleed
or say a prayer, but looked into darkness, feeling
less fear than I ever felt, I closed my eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this a revision? This was part of your senior sem. project, right?

-Liz