Monday, December 8, 2008

#1 A Hero Returns Home

This is the first in a series of poems written for my senior seminar class. There will eventually be seven of them. 

The second time we moved, I wasn't home. 
I was in Illinois, trying to disconnect myself
from a life I already understood,
putting on my nightly costumes and walking 
the streets alone as if I had purpose.

I did this so long, I woke up 
one morning and forgot where I was, which life
I didn't love and who my parents were. 
They were waking up in Minnesota, 
my father to dry toast, my mother to sunlight.

They called me home and I found no difference,
the furniture, the same, was all there, but
seemed a little smaller. A woman
with quiet hands, my mother, 
she arranged that furniture, perfectly.

Outside, the sun is in the trees. My father
working in the yard, opens up the earth 
with his hands. He was there before
dawn. He touches dirt as I turn away,
trying to regain a few lost hours sleep. 

2 comments:

Dayna said...

wow. I love it so much.

second stanza and fourth stanza are my favorite. the third borders on dramatic and the first could be less abstract and more interesting in my opinion. I hate the phrase "nightly costumes"

my dad to dry toast, my mom to sunlight ... shiver so good. (though i would say mother and father rather than mom and dad because that's what you call them in them rest of the poem)

so interesting. well, I like it.

Dayna said...

so i still love this poem so so so much, over a year after I read it. i was thinking about it and went back to your blog to read it again and lo and behold - new poems! I'm so happy.

I'm a loyal reader! God i love this poem. I'm gonna have to read the new stuff more but i'm so so happy you're writing again