Tuesday, December 9, 2008

#3 When Spider-man opens his eyes

When I wake in the morning, I roll over
and gaze into the sunny eyes
of my magazine-cover girlfriend.

I don't feel much of a hero any more,
more like a normal man.

Sure, I face my daily dilemma, the undisputed 
morality of a vigilant observer,
engaging a life of great responsibility,
envying everyone else.

I will kiss her on the cheek 
and step to the window.

The urban landscape is
strung out before me like
the beads of a rosary
and my nightly wanderings
are the most earnest prayers.

I find freedom in the fight, 
I awaken my mind
to the nearest criminal 
activity and the desperate pain
of a forty-foot
fall. These things
give me gratitude
for life in all its forms-

my girl's eyes,
her morning breath
and the way she holds
my bruised body
when I tremble
and the pain
is too much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ian
is, was.
and will be
the jedi master.
of his literary craft.
until he gave up.
his pursuit.
of the.
force.