Friday, December 12, 2008

When Spider-man Opens His Eyes (revised)

Sometimes, when I fear to be alone,
I entertain the night, the only thing
I can't get out of my mind.
It is Blanchard Lawn.
I have left the city behind,
that contracted darkness.

I wake in the morning. I roll over
and gaze into the sunny eyes
of my magazine-cover girlfriend.
I don't feel much of a hero anymore,
more like a normal man.
I will kiss her on the cheek,

the step out the window.
Buildings in this urban landscape
string out before me 
like the beads of a rosary;
my nightly wanderings
become my most earnest prayers.

I escaped my room again
last night, drifted in a maze
of suburban town homes, the dust
of a million commuters, pilgrims
on the same dismal paths,
to which I have seen no end.

I find freedom in the fight
and the desperate pain
of a forty-foot
fall. Sometimes suffering
gives me gratitude
for life in all its forms-

sometimes I wake in a sweat;
I hear voices over me.
Escape. It is still Illinois
and I don't know what to do.
Those nights, I watch T.V.
to keep myself from sleeping.

No comments: